Hats are probably the only accessory that men wear more often than women. It can be a tricky wear for females, especially if you want to look glamorous and dainty. A lot of women just ditch the idea of the hat altogether because they don’t know the right one that will suit them. Also, a lot also have little idea on how hats can make them look glamorous, dainty and feminine like a lady.
The truth is, a woman must not be intimidated about the thought of wearing a hat. As long as it’s worn correctly, a hat can be an accessory that flatters your whole outfit and makes you look glam and fabulous as ever. Did you know you can even try hat making as a hobby to create your own style? Here are some general tips on how to choose a proper hat to wear:
1. Keep it simple
If you want to try wearing hats to look glam and fashionable, just keep it simple. A hat is an accessory that doesn’t need to be overly-decorated and eccentric unless you want to be tacky. To keep it simple, just stick to the basic, typical hats worn by women, such as the baseball cap, fedora, Panama hat, beanie, beret, flat cap, cocktail hat, and cloche hat.
2. Base your hat choice to your face shape
The hat you wear should compliment your face shape. If you have an oval face, any hat can suit you. If you have a round face, you should choose wide-brimmed hats or any hat that can give your face an illusion of length. It’s better if you place your hat on an angle. If you have a square face, choose softer styles of hats with no harsh angles or geometric lines. But if you have a heart-shaped face, any hat styles can also look good on you, but it’s better to steer clear of wide-brimmed hats. It’s important to choose a hat that is the opposite shape as your face.
Take your height into consideration as well. Shorter ladies should wear hats with brims of less than 8 centimeters, while taller ladies can choose hats of wider brims than that.
3. Consider the weather and the seasons
There are instances when wearing a specific type of hat would make you look tacky and out of place. There are certain fashion rules you must follow if you plan to wear a hat, weather-wise. For instance, Panama hats are only appropriate to wear during the spring and summer. Wool hats, such as knitted beanies or berets, must only be worn during autumn and winter. Also, outdoorsy hats like fedora should only be worn during the daytime. These rules exist because of the next tip:
4. Consider the purpose of the hat
Hats are more than an accessory – they’re a form of protection most of all. So, if you’re going to the beach or taking a walk in the park, you would need a hat that protects you under the sun more than a hat that simply makes you look stylish.
5. Don’t try to match the color of your outfit to the hat
A hat is an accessory, meaning, it should be noticeable enough that looks like it was purposely worn to spice up your outfit. Matching your hat to your outfit won’t look good as contrasting ones, so it’s better to choose a hat that has a different color and texture from the rest of your outfit. Mixing styles may also add elegance, glamour and extra flair to your whole ensemble.
6. Opt for hats in a neutral color
Invest in hats in color gray, white, black, brown, tan or any other neutral color. These are easier to mix and match with any of your outfits. These colors are also easy to decorate, so you easily add a band, a brooch, a button or any other detail you like for customization.
Wearing a hat can be tricky, so make sure you are guided by a great fashion sense. Now, take a look at some specific ideas on how to wear hats for a glamorous, put-together look:
- Wear a casual woven hat, like a Panama hat, with a pair of faded denim jeans and a simple white top.
- Wear a casual woven hat with a flowy, patterned sundress, maxi dress or a billowy skirt.
- Wear a classic Panama with all-white attire.
- Wear a simple, short-brimmed hat with patterned pants.
- Add a little more style to your floral dress by wearing a fedora hat.
- Pair a fedora hat with an oversized sweater and knee-high boots (or ankle boots paired with same-colored leg warmers) for an adorable, girly get-up.
- Wear a suit with matching fedora and pumps while you’re on your way to a business class flight. What a glamorous way to travel, right?
- Wear a fedora hat with a plain top, statement necklace, and baggy pants.
- Pair a fedora hat with a leather jacket and combat boots for a rock chic look.
- Coconut Gallery suggests dressing up a neutral sweater and coat with a bright fedora hat.
- Get yourself a leather baseball cap to add a sense of glamour to your casual outfits. It even works well with more dressed-up items like boots and dresses.
- Wear a baseball hat with jeans, a tank top, and slip-on sneakers. It’s an easy outfit for the hat.
- Keep a tank dress casual with a baseball hat, sneakers, and cardigan.
- Pair a red baseball cap with a leather jacket and slim-fit jeans.
- Wear a casual maxi dress or a T-shirt dress with a baseball cap and slip-on shoes for an effortless look.
- Accessorize your simple dress with a baseball cap, big sunglasses and a light scarf for that celebrity glam effect.
- Pair loose-top beanie hats with tight skinny jeans.
- Wear with your coat and oversized scarf during the winter.
- Avoid pairing a black beanie hat with an all-black outfit, otherwise, you’d look like a bank robber.
- Pair a standard beanie with a coat and skinny pants, then finish it off with athletic shoes for a sporty edge.
- If you have bangs and you want to wear a beanie, wear it further upon your head to let your bangs out.
- Wear a properly fitting fur hat with your coat and boots.
- Wear a beret hat with skinny jeans and stilettos for extra sass to an otherwise very casual getup.