Have you heard of calendula oil? If it is not familiar to you, then you should know about calendula oil and its wonderful benefits that it can bring to your skin. After reading this article, you may want to include calendula oil to your beauty and wellness regimen!
Calendula oil is an herbal oil which is extracted and distilled from Calendula officinalis, which is more popularly known as the common marigold – yes, these beautiful yellow flowers that grow in your garden!
Calendula oil has several good uses. It serves as an anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral agent. It is even used as an anti-tumor remedy! Traditionally, calendula oil has been used to treat abdominal cramps, constipation and bleeding.
Calendula oil and its benefits to the skin
Calendula oil may be used as an alternative remedy to treat several skin conditions such as acne and skin inflammation. It is also used to improve the appearance and condition of the skin. The following lists several ways that calendula may be used as a topical remedy.
1. It can be used to treat dry and chapped skinCalendula oil’s natural moisturizing properties are excellent to treat dry or severely chapped and flaky skin. Plus, this oil helps soothe the area and reduce the pain.
2. It can be used to treat dandruff as well as dry and itchy scalpIf your anti-dandruff shampoo is not effective any longer, you can use calendula oil as an alternative. You can make a natural anti-dandruff remedy by mixing calendula oil along with other oils such as olive oil and vitamin E oil to prevent dryness of the scalp that leads to dandruff and itchiness.
3. It can be used as sunscreenCalendula oil is an effective agent for sun protection to your skin – plus, it’s an environmentally-friendly alternative to commercial sunscreens. According to a recent study, a calendula oil is found to have excellent SPF properties as a sun protection cream. However, more study and assessment are still needed to support this claim.
4. It can be used for skin inflammationCalendula oil is reported to be an excellent remedy for skin inflammation, bruises as well as sprained muscles and varicose veins.
5. It can be used to treat woundsCalendula oil is also thought as an excellent remedy in treating minor cuts and wounds. This oil has natural antiseptic properties that help in speeding up wound healing. It can also relieve acne and insect bites.
6. It can be used to treat diaper rashYou may wonder if calendula is safe for babies. The answer is: yes, it is! In fact, calendula oil can also be used to relieve diaper rashes. You can find several find baby care products that contain calendula oil in them.
7. It can be used to treat other skin diseasesIf you or your loved ones suffer skin diseases such as dermatitis and eczema, include calendula oil in your treatments. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing swelling and irritation.
8. It can be used in a dermarolling/skin needling procedureAs expected, you may ask if you can include calendula oil in your dermarolling procedure. Fortunately, calendula is one of the essential oils that are proven safe and effective in soothing the skin and countering irritation after dermarolling. You can find anti-irritant creams that are made from calendula oil or marigold extract.
Another benefit that you will get from applying calendula oil after dermarolling is its ability to stimulate the body’s collagen production. Calendula oil significantly helps in the healing of your skin after dermarolling. Isn’t that great news? That’s an even more reason to consider calendula oil if you’re undergoing a dermarolling treatment.
Is calendula oil also good for people suffering allergies?
While calendula oil is generally safe to use, you may have to hesitate first before considering calendula oil if you are suffering allergies. If you are allergic to marigold or other plants belonging to Asteraceae/Compositae family, there is a great chance that calendula oil will not be safe for you.