The Green Beauty Rules: The Essential Guide to Toxic-Free Beauty, Green Glamour, and Glowing Skin

People these days are becoming more conscience about their health and what they eat. Women as well are starting to watch what they intake not just with food but also with skincare and cosmetics. This book; The Green Beauty Rules: The Essential Guide to Toxic Free Beauty, Green Glamour and Glowing Skin by Paige Padgett teaches readers about green beauty.  It helps them identify what ingredients are harmful, what to use for alternative products, and even provides multiple makeup looks readers can achieve using the authors’ recommended products. This book is the ultimate guide for anyone who wants to start stocking their beauty kit with greener and safer products.  A key message is you can look great and be a glamorous woman and do it in a healthy manner.

The book is nine chapters and 256 pages long which starts with Paige Padgett sharing her stories of being a makeup artist, her first beauty inspiration, and talking about her beauty mission.

Early in the book she explains the basic terminologies that are often misleading such as natural, organic, chemically-safe, and eco-friendly. Because a product says it’s natural or organic does it mean that the product contains pure or 100% natural or organic ingredients. It can just be a marketing strategy since natural products are not regulated or defined. However, with regards to organic products, they are regulated by United States Department of Agriculture so you can always look for the USDA organic seal.

Aside from the terminologies, the author also talks about myths surrounding green beauty and why it is important to have chemically-safe skin care and make-up. This is further explained in chapter 2 which states that your beauty routine should be like a diet because your skin eats your beauty products and that your cosmetic products act like food to your skin. Skin is the largest organ in the body and can absorb the chemicals in your cosmetic products that can travel in your whole body which then might end up in the bloodstream or accumulate in the body for a long time.

Reading further, the book provides an entire chapter listing the ingredients that are toxic like parabens, petrochemicals and carcinogens which the author calls “The Nasties”.  She explains this chapter very clear and in detail making it easier to understand and not confusing while giving as well a transitional guide plus a list of drugstore items the author advises as the safer bets.

The author then ends the book with a chapter showing different makeup looks along with pictures, products used and a step-by-step guide on how to copy each look yourself.

One useful point in the book is her 80/20 rule which states that you don’t have to throw away all your beauty products because as she says, green beauty shouldn’t be restrictive. Instead you can keep your favourites but limit them to only 20% while the remaining 80% of your beauty products must be chemically safe.

Overall, The Green Beauty Rules book is a really interesting read and a good resource material for readers that wants to change to toxic-free skin care and make-up. It also gives a complete and very detailed information as well as tips and advice coming from a pro make-up artist about green beauty. The book is straightforward and easy to read with a simple step-by-step guide on toxic-free beauty transitioning that readers can easily follow for a healthy yet glamorous lifestyle.