In the middle of a global pandemic, it can be disheartening to give up summer birthday parties at the pool or amusement park. Handstand competitions in the shallow end and riding the scariest roller coasters will have to wait until next year—but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun and joyful birthday celebration at home.
Here are five ways to bring the party to you, so you can celebrate in style.
1. Physically Distant but Socially Together
Just because it’s inadvisable to have large groups of people in your home, doesn’t mean you have to give up party games with friends. Set up a video call with family and loved ones and break out a game of charades or Pictionary. This is a perfect way for kids and adults alike to enjoy safe and communal celebrations on their special day.
For a fun surprise, send happy birthday hats to your guests ahead of time so everyone can look festive. With some feathers, sparkles, and pompoms, you’ll all be ready to party! For those living in the same household, put together some easy decorations and fun snacks for a glamorous celebration at home.
2. Mix it Up
For adults celebrating their birthdays, say cheers with a celebratory cocktail. Champagne, punch, and fun garnishes all create a cheerful birthday atmosphere.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Margarita – This classic combination of tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup creates the perfect summer drink. Add salt or chili powder to the rim for extra pizzazz.
- Kir Royale – Made with creme de cassis and champagne, this deep magenta beverage looks elegant and bright in a champagne flute.
- Mojito – Rum, mint, sugar, and lime blend together with a little soda water to make this refreshing and tropical drink.
There are so many more classic and classy cocktails to add to any gathering. Don’t forget to raise a special glass for the birthday person.
3. A Bouquet or a Basket
Another way to create a birthday surprise is to send flowers or a gift basket to your loved one. Surprise them with a bouquet of happy birthday flowers or a basket of goodies. This is especially great for those distant family members who want to send along their birthday greetings.
To add a personal touch, include a happy birthday photo book of favorite images from gatherings and holidays. Including this special item will mean so much, particularly for those celebrating during these unprecedented times.
4. Take the Party to the Backyard
Spend some time enjoying the warm summer weather and head outside for fun and games. This is a particularly great idea for kids who are longing for summer days at the pool. With just a little creativity, you can include activities for the whole family to enjoy!
Try some of these sure-fire activities to get the party started:
- Croquet – A timeless yard game for family members of all ages. Have children help set up the wickets to create a fun, personalized course.
- Water Balloons – Bring the water park to your backyard with a water balloon fight. This is a great way to cool off on a hot summer day.
- Sparklers – If you live in an area where fireworks are legal, get a box of sparklers to light up in the evening. Make sure all little ones are supervised by an adult before participating.
5. Look up to the Heavens
Once the sun goes down, spread a blanket outside and throw a birthday stargazing party. Bring out the drinks and cake for an after-dinner treat. If you live in a city, consider taking a little drive away from bright lights for a full celestial show.
Custom star maps are the perfect gift for any avid stargazer. These beauties reflect the stars’ position in the sky at their time and place of birth.
It’s the Thought that Counts
No matter how you decide to celebrate birthdays at home, at the end of the day, you want to make your loved one feel special. Maybe they want a simple and delicious home-cooked dinner, a stroll around the neighborhood, or a rowdy game night. Whatever their preference, with a little creativity, their birthday will be just as festive at home as it would be anywhere else.