Your smile is one of your best assets. It shows your charisma, attractiveness, and friendliness. But the beauty of your smile is greatly affected by the condition of your teeth. A glamorous and great-looking tooth is something you’d want to flaunt in front of a camera.
To help you achieve a dazzling set of teeth you’d be proud to show off, here is a helpful guide to the things you need to do to make it look glam:
1. Whiten your teeth
If your teeth have yellowed with age, try whitening them. A white smile is a must if you want to impress. To keep it clean, brush your teeth at least twice a day, floss, use mouthwash and visit your dentist at least twice a year and get a regular cleaning and check-up. But sometimes, cleansing isn’t enough to make them white. There are several options to choose from:
- Whitening toothpaste – It’s easy to find a whitening toothpaste from supermarkets or shops near you. These contain special chemicals and abrasives that removes surface stains that cause yellowing over the course of 2 to 6 weeks. When the toothpaste is used after a professional lightening treatment, it can help maintain your results.
- Whitening treatment – To get a dramatic change in the color of your teeth, a professional whitening treatment is for you. It’s a non-invasive dental procedure that removes deep-set stains from your tooth enamel. A whitening gel would be applied to your teeth then activated by a UV lamp for some minutes. This may be repeated for two to three times, and in less than an hour, you can leave the doctor’s clinic with teeth 12 shades whiter.
- Bleaching – There are different methods of bleaching, like using laser, strips, gels and bleaching pens, but all of them use carbamide peroxide and water that forms hydrogen peroxide. While whitening can restore the natural color of the teeth, bleaching can whiten beyond the natural color.
- Home whitening kits – Compared to whitening treatments and bleaching, home whitening kits don’t provide instant results, but still can remove heavy stains from teeth over the course of two weeks. These kits may include a mouth tray or strips that allow easy application of whitening gel.
- Home remedies – If you want to take a more natural route, there are a lot of proven home remedies that can whiten your teeth. One idea is to make a paste using baking soda and lemon juice. There are many other ways, like using apple cider vinegar, coconut oil rinse, and fruits like strawberries and pineapple.
2. Straighten crooked teeth
You can’t say a tooth is great looking if it’s not straight. A glamorous smile starts with proper alignment. If you have a straight set of teeth, you’re fortunate. But if not, here are your options for straightening them:
- Traditional braces – It’s never too late to go for braces to sort your teeth out with traditional braces. It’s the old-school orthodontic treatment made of metal brackets attached to the teeth with glue and wire. It’s a fast way to realign the teeth if you’re looking to straighten up your smile, but it can be uncomfortable. It’s also the least expensive choice (by the way, all orthodontic work aren’t budget-friendly) and the most visible form of correction.
- Clarity braces – Clarity braces are made of fine-grained ceramic material that blends with the natural color of the teeth, with ultra-small translucent brackets that are more comfortable than the traditional brace.
- Invisible braces – One of the biggest orthodontic improvements of the past years have been the invisible brace, with most popular brands being Invisalign and Inman. These are lightweight, clear plastic casing that is molded to fit over the teeth to straighten it. IT is replaced regularly with new aligners that bring teeth closer and closer to the perfect smile. This can be removed to eat, drink and brush but must be worn 22 hours a day, for an average of 12 to 15 months.
- Incognito braces – Incognito braces are the fully customized treatment that is placed behind the teeth. These are more expensive than the previous options, but it’s totally invisible. However, because it’s placed behind the teeth, it’s harder to clean.
3. Go to the dentist to fix chipped and broken teeth
Chipped and broken teeth, especially on the more visible front teeth, needs to be fixed so you can be confident to smile candidly. Minor breakage or damage on the teeth enamel can be fixed with dental filling or bonding. This uses a tooth-colored composite resin shaped to look like a natural tooth which is placed to fill the broken area. If the damage is more serious, dental crowning or capping may be needed. A crown is used when a large piece of tooth has been broken, or a big amount of decay is present.
4. Hydrate your lips
As you want a good-looking set of teeth, your lips must be taken care of as well. Once people notice your teeth, they must be looking at your lips also. You must keep it hydrated, so drink lots of water. If you have chapped lips, use a lip balm and exfoliate your lips once in a while.
5. Find the right lipstick shade
Finding the right shade of lipstick is important too if you want your teeth to look whiter. The wrong color may even bring out the yellow in your teeth. Here’s a guide to picking the right tone of lipstick to bring out the white in your teeth:
- Nude – Nude lipsticks are difficult to pick if you want whiter teeth because they generally make teeth look slightly more yellow. A pinkish nude that is not too warm looks best if you want your teeth to look whiter.
- Pink – Pink lipsticks with blue undertones will help teeth appear somewhat whiter than those pinks that lean on yellow or orange. But since this shade doesn’t look good on all skin colors, you can also go for berry pinks.
- Red – Red lipsticks may either lean on blue, pink or orange. Reds with blue undertones will provide the greatest whitening effect; pinks are neutral, while orange tones will give a slightly yellowing effect.
- Purple – Generally, darker shades like purple will make teeth appear slightly yellower. While purple either leans a little pink or little brown, the first one will help teeth appear whiter than using the latter.
6. Practice your smile
For a completely glamorous look, you want a perfect, bedazzling smile. Practice makes perfect, and even your smile can benefit from a few rehearsals. If you have a big photo event like a prom, a graduation or wedding, try out your smile in front of a mirror. See how it looks when you strike a few poses and find your best angle.