Do I Have Cool or Warm Skin Tone?
When selecting not only your foundation shade of
mineral makeup, but also your blush, lip colors and any all-over face
colors, you need to know if you should purchase cool or warm colors.
This is based on the undertone of your skin – look
at the underside of your arm. If your veins appear bluish you are cool
toned, if they appear greenish you are warm toned.
Why is this important?
With complementary colors (in cosmetics and clothing):
Your skin tone will appear radiant and glowing Your eyes will appear brighter and clearer Your hair will reflect highlights You will hear compliments – such as “You look great”!
With uncomplimentary colors (in cosmetics and clothing):
Your skin tone will appear tired and drained Your eyes may appear shadowed, dark circles Even your teeth can appear with a slight yellow hue You will hear comments – such as “You look tired” “Do you feel OK?”
If you aren’t sure if you have Cool or Warm Skin Tones, these comparisons should help: –
- Includes “jewel tones” – blues, greens, pinks, purples, blue-greens, magentas, and blue-based reds.
- Foundation is pink based
- Looks better in pure white than ivoryCan easily wear black
My skin is:
- Very dark brown with reddish or blue undertones
- Brown with pink undertone
- True olive (most Asians and Latinos)
- Medium with no color in cheeks
- Medium with faint pink cheeks
- Pale with no color in cheeks
- Pale with pink undertones
- Ruddy-pinkish red
- Brown or bronze when I tan
Notable examples –
Elizabeth Taylor, Demi Moore, Anne Hathaway, Courtney Cox, Sandra Bullock, Terri Hatcher, Kirstin Davis, America Fererra, Keira Knightley, Eva Longoria, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, Liv Tyler, Alexis Bledel, Megan Fox, Jennifer Connelly, Shania Twain, Brooke Shields Sophia Bush, Penelope Cruz, Candace Bergen, Sarah Chalke, Hillary Clinton, Heather Locklear, Britney Spears, Sarah Jessica Parker, Christy Brinkley, Reese Witherspoon, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jeri Ryan, Jennifer Aniston, Ellen Pompano
- Includes “earth tones” – yellows, oranges, browns, yellowish greens and orange-based reds.
- Foundation is yellow based
- Looks better in ivory than pure white
- Looks washed out with black worn close to the face
My skin is:
- Very dark brown with golden undertones
- Brown with golden undertone
- Medium with golden undertones
- Pale with peach or gold undertones
- Golden brown, when I tan
Notable examples – Nicole Kidman, Meg Ryan, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reba McIntyre, Julianne Hough, Sarah Ferguson, Marcia Cross, Calista Flockhart, Rebecca Romjin, Tara Reid, Renee Zellweger, Ellen Degeneres, Diane Sawyer, Amy Adams, Jillian Anderson, Amanda Bynes, Becki Newton, Nicole Richie, Kim Raver, Kristen Johnston, Leona Lewis
Need More Help?
Visit Mineral Hygienics Choose your skin tone tutorial if you need help selecting the correct foundation and makeup colors.