In this article, you will learn about the advantages and disadvantages of using thermoplastic polyolefin for the roofing of your building.
TPO as it is fondly called is one of the most popular roofings on the market. This is due to the many benefits associated with its use (Benefits you will discover in the latter part of this article).
This claim is also backed by the results of a finding conducted by NRCA where it was discovered that close to 40% of commercial buildings have TPO roofing installed. Do you also desire TPO roofing for your home or building? TPO Roofing Denver is a reliable company with many years of experience in fixing TFO so you can check them out.
Before we delve into the advantages and disadvantages of thermoplastic polyolefin, let’s first learn the meaning of TPO roofing.
Without confusing you with technical terms, TPO roofing is basically a material that’s made with synthetic rubbers and reinforcing scrim. TPO roofing systems are exceptional in their ability to reflect the sun’s radiation due to their white colour. This ability further extends the life of the roof and ensures improved energy efficiency compared to other roof types. They are usually made in rolls of 10 to 20 feet in width.
Is TPO a good roofing?
Well, the statistics released by the NRCA which shows that more than 30% of commercial buildings have TPO roofing is enough reason to classify TPO as good roofing for your building structure.
The advantages and disadvantages of TPO roofing
Before we learn about the possible cons that exist, let’s first look at the benefits and they are:
- Ease of installation: due to the nature of TPO, it is not difficult to install them. Any professional can quickly fix them in their place, this means lesser billing for you.
- It is less expensive compared to its other counterparts like PVC. in the U.S, for example, the cost of TPO is considerably lower than that of PVC. when you now compare the benefits of using TPO in terms of energy efficiency, you’d realize choosing TPO is far better for you and your finances.
- It does not require expensive maintenance: For TPO roofing you will never have the cause to experience the growth of algae, tear, or the accumulation of dirt.
- TPO is very flexible, meaning it can be installed for all types of building properties. And it comes in different colours like grey, white etc.
- They rank high on the energy-efficiency scale. Since they reflect UV’s radiation, it means you are protected from expensive air conditioning bills during summer.
The disadvantages are:
- Since it is a relatively new material in the market, it is still experiential in nature. Currently, it is believed that TPO can be improved in terms of durability.
- The thickness of any TPO roofing does not influence its durability but many people make this mistake when buying TPO.
- According to a trusted source, if the top layer is laminated, the thermoplastic polyolefin may easily spoil.