Summers mean more exposure to the sun, and sun exposure means more skin tan and damage. In today’s generation, where everyone is quite conscious about their looks, sun tanning can be a huge problem.
During summer, whether you want to or not, at some point you have to go out in the sun. So, what can you do to avoid suntan? Here are some tips to help you out.
Tips to Avoid Suntan
Don’t worry about the sun rays damaging your skin; just enjoy the summers. Using these preventive measures, you will be able to keep your skin safe from tanning and sunburns.
- Never forget to apply sunscreen. Make it a habit to wear it even when you are not directly under the sun.
- Avoid going in the sun during peak hours, i.e., middle of the day (10 A.M. – 3 P.M.). At this time of day, the ultraviolet sun rays can be very harmful and cause sunburns.
- Wear clothes that do not expose your skin to the sun. If you have to stay outside for a longer time, wear clothes with full sleeves and long slacks. You can also wear a wide-brimmed hat so that the sun rays do not harm your skin.
- Wear UV filter sunglasses to save your eyes from the UV rays.
- Drink a lot of water, about 15 to 20 glasses a day. During summer, not drinking enough water can make your skin dehydrated and dry.
- Use sunscreens with SPF 50. You can also use sunscreens with SPF 30 if you cannot find one with SPF 50.
What is SPF?
The full form of “SPF” is “Sun Protection Factor.” The number is written with SPF, for example, SPF 30 or SPF 50, which tells how efficient a sunscreen is in blocking the UV rays (UVB) from reaching your skin and harming it. The protection from harmful rays is directly proportional to this SPF number; a higher number means higher protection.
It is recommended to use a sunscreen with a higher SPF number. Commonly used sunscreens have SPF 30, but if you stay out a lot or had any kind of skin issues earlier, it is better to apply a sunscreen with SPF 40 or more.
On the other hand, if you just want to avoid suntan and sunburns, SPF 30 would work fine. But again, try using a higher SPF sunscreen lotion to prevent skin damage in the long run.
Can Everyone Use Sunscreen?
The instant answer is “YES,” everyone can use sunscreen. Every person who spends a lot of time outside in the sun must apply sunscreen regularly. Either you are a man, woman, child, someone who gets tanned easily or not, fair-skinned, dark-skinned, or literally anyone, sunscreen is a must in summer to avoid sun tanning.
Is it Okay for Children to Apply Sunscreen?
Sunscreens are completely safe for children above the age of 6 months. Besides preventing sun damage, sunscreen can also help prevent different skin problems, including various kinds of skin cancers.
For children under the age of 6 months, you should always wear protective clothing and keep them in shaded places. There are also sunscreens available with SPF as low as 15, which is suitable for children of that age.
How to Apply Sunscreen?
When used appropriately, sunscreens can be beneficial. So, how do you use them properly? Here is a guide for your ease:
- Remember to apply the sunscreen cream at least 20 to 30 minutes before leaving the house.
- Keep the sunscreen with you. Apply it again after every 2 hours, even if the product says “24-hour protection”. If you sweat a lot, apply it more often.
- Do not leave any part of the exposed skin. Apply the sunscreen to every exposed part, including your lips, ears, back of your hands, feet, and face, to protect them all.
- Apply a good amount of sunscreen. Try smoothing it on the skin rather than rubbing it.
- If you wear makeup, then apply the sunscreen under the makeup. However, make sure to apply sunscreen before you wear the makeup.
Best Sunscreen Lotions
There are hundreds of options to choose from when it comes to getting sunscreen cream for regular use. But the real deal is to choose the best one out of those hundred options. Here is a list of some best sunscreen lotions for you.
This sunscreen lotion by Neutrogena is one of its kind. The high SPF makes it an excellent choice for anyone who needs extra protection from sun and ultraviolet rays. In short, SPF 60+ is more than enough for anyone’s skin.
The lotion is made with Helioplex technology, which makes it efficient in preventing sunburns. Along with protection from sun rays, the lotion also provides hydration to the skin. The broad-spectrum protection UVA/UVB also helps in preventing the aging caused due to the UVA rays. These aging signs include fine lines, sagging, dark spots, and wrinkles.
The product is formulated with antioxidants that help keep your skin safe from other environmental aggressors like ozone, cold, and environmental pollution. The product does not contain any kind of harmful chemicals, parabens, mineral oils, or oxybenzone. The best thing about this lotion is that it will be completely absorbed in your skin without leaving white patches on your skin.
This sunscreen lotion by Aveeno is made from antioxidant oat. This is an excellent option for regular use; the SPF 30 and the antioxidants will keep your skin safe and healthy at the same time.
The broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection will effectively protect your skin from sunburns and suntan. The formula also helps prevent skin aging and other common skin issues caused by exposure to the sun rays.
The product tends to be water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. Moreover, it is oil-free and absorbs fast in the skin without clogging the skin pores. You can also use this lotion for the face and body. The product is also available in a travel-size package so you can easily carry it around with you.
This is something you might want to use every single day. Some people even say that this lotion smells like summer.
This sunscreen lotion doesn’t only protect you from the sun rays and damage caused by them but also moisturizes your skin and keeps it healthy. The lotion provides UVA/UVB protection along with vitamin E to your skin. The SPF 30 provides complete protection from sun rays, and the oil-free formula doesn’t let your skin pores be clogged.
Apply the lotion at least 15 minutes before going outdoors (keep it away from your eyes). Apply it again every 80 minutes for best results. It is free of harmful chemicals, parabens, oxybenzone, gluten, and cruelty. The hypo-allergic formula will keep your skin happy and healthy in all conditions.
Banana boat sunscreen lotion can work a great deal due to its high SPF number. SPF 50 will protect your skin from severe sun damage. Moreover, the product is completely non-greasy and fast-absorbing.
The UVA/UVB protection technology helps you enjoy the summer without worrying about suntan and sunburns. The water-resistant properties of this sunscreen lotion allow you to enjoy a good beach day without ruining your skin. It will stay on your skin even if you are swimming or just chilling by the side of the beach.
Sunscreen is very important when you spend a lot of time outdoors because sometimes, we do not notice the slow but steady damage that the sun is causing to our skin. There is a wide variety of sunscreen lotions available on the market; choose the one that suits you best. Enjoy summers with healthy skin.